- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 small onion, quartered then sliced
- 2 serrano chile peppers, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 medium baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium-high heat in a large pot. Fry the cumin seeds for a few seconds until they turn golden brown and begin to pop. Reduce heat to medium, stir in the onion, and cook until lightly browned. Stir in serrano pepper and ginger, fry for 1 minute. Season with coriander, paprika, turmeric, cayenne, and garam masala; cook for 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Stir in potatoes and salt, cover and cook for 5 to 7 minutes. Add the cauliflower, cover, and cook until the cauliflower steams in it's own juices until it's tender, about 20 minutes. Stir in lemon juice, then pour the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil around the edges of the pot. Increase heat to medium-high and fry for 3 to 5 minutes to brown, stirring gently to avoid mashing the cauliflower.